Don Walker Awards
Best Industry and Clinical Abstract Award
Presented at the AIDH annual Health Informatics Conference.
About the awards
The Don Walker Awards recognise the best submitted industry and clinical case study abstracts for AIDH’s annual Health Informatics Conference (HIC).
- Best Industry Abstract
- Best Clinical Abstract
Finalists are drawn from the HIC call for papers process. Submissions are subject to a double-blind peer review as per the HIC review guidelines. The winner is determined by the review score and the presentation of the abstract at the HIC conference.
All Industry and Clinical abstracts submitted to HIC will automatically become candidates for the Don Walker Awards.
- Authors do not need to be a member of AIDH to be eligible
- Submissions must be original work and not previously presented before (material that has been previously presented
- ONLY at a conference outside Australia will be considered, provided the paper is not identical to any that has been previously published)
- The abstract submitted must be in English
Selection & review process
The following criteria determine the score for the Don Walker Award:
- 50% is based on the Industry/Clinical reviews
- 50% is based on the presentation of the paper at HIC
- Where two (2) abstracts are given the same total score a joint award shall be recommended.
- Authors will submit their abstracts under with Industry or Clinical categories.
- Submissions will be subject to double-blind peer review as per the HIC review guidelines.
- In each award category, the five (5) papers with the highest scores from the HIC review process will be shortlisted for further assessment by the Don Walker Award committee based on presentation.
- Presentations are to be reviewed according to the following selection criteria; tone and body language, audio-visual material and their overall audience engagement.
Winners will be presented with their awards at the AIDH Awards Gala Dinner. They will receive a trophy and certificate and will be promoted widely, including in the media.
About Don Walker
Dr Don Walker, past chairman of the Health Informatics Society of Australia (HISA) and a pioneer in the application of computers in Australian healthcare, has an untiring commitment to the field that has spanned decades. Don has made a major contribution to Australian health informatics, particularly in the area of terminologies.
2019 Don Walker Award for Best Clinical Abstract
Conversation as therapy (CaTPin): The world’s first wearable to detect loneliness.
2019 Don Walker Award for Best Industry Abstract
Evaluating the use of UVC light devices in a clinical setting to reduce pathogens on computer workstations